Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gear

1 1/2 days till the climb. I'm excited but nervous about the weather. They are calling for thunderstorms this saturday so I am hoping that they get pushed to tomorrow.

Before we get started, I thought I would go over some of the gear I will be using. My current hiking boots are Merrell Ventilator II s. Purchased at REI. I have had these boots for a couple of years now and still love them. They are sturdy, comfortable, and are just over 2 lbs. They are a little high but when you are hauling a 6'4" frame up a mountain, its good to have the extra ankle support.
The Vibram soles give great traction and after 2+ years of hiking, show little wear. Although I have not summited for several years, I have still done a fair amount of hiking and these boots have been great. I will most likely buy another pair in the near future.

Next come my trusty Atlas trekking poles (also available at REI). It used to be that I only used these when I used my snowshoes (also Atlas), partially because I made fun of people who used trekking poles on day hikes. But, I have now become one of those people. In my defense let me just say that aside from the extra stability they provide on sketchy trails, I am amazed at how much faster I am able to go with them. They also help soften the blow when descending a significant slope.

My day pack is a High Sierra hydration pack. It doesn't have the most cargo space, but its lightweight and gets the job done at a great price, around $30-40. Other than that, what else do you need?

Grays and Torreys peak on saturday. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment